“Jesus answered, “…a man who was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho when robbers attacked him,…leaving him half dead….

But a Samaritan who was traveling that way…saw him, his heart was filled with pity. He went over to him, poured oil and wine on his wounds and bandaged them; then he put the man on his own animal and took him to an inn, where he took care of him.” Luke 10:30,33,34

Before I settled down to marry my husband and have my three girls, I was a restless young woman moving from place to place and job to job. I was in my early twenties during those years, and living in Atlanta GA.

I had moved there when I was nineteen to learn photography at an art school. It was located near Pershing Point, so my parents helped me find a nearby place. As it turned out I lived between where “Gone With The Wind” was written and Piedmont Park. l mention this because those two places were at opposite ends of polarizing cultures at that time if ever there was.

The book was written in a peaceful quiet neighborhood. Piedmont Park at that time, was ran over with dirty hippies that camped there, smoked dope, and dealt drugs out in the open. Small children ran around with little direction. That was the summer of 1971. About a year later the Atlanta police cracked down and cleared the Park out.

I bought dope there at the Park while finishing my year of study. After that I worked in photo labs around Atlanta and moved often to be closer to work. And I continued my habit of smoking dope. All that put me in the company of some people who didn’t have my nor their own best interests in mind.

By the Spring of 1975 I realized I could no longer continue in that lifestyle. I was seeking a new direction for my life. I began seeking God’s presence in my life like I had experienced in my childhood.

From that desire I found a local church that was warm and friendly from the start. During that same time, I also was trying to get into a branch of the military but had failed the first round of testing. My math skills were lacking to say the least.

On my life’s horizon came two women that were a great help to me during that time. The first was my sister Deena who had left a federal job in D.C. to move to Atlanta a year earlier. Deena was much more of a career person than I’ve ever been. She gave me advice and encouraged me to keep trying to join the military that year.

The other woman came out from a large crowd of friendly people at my church and showed an interest in me. We had little in common, but I appreciated her friendship. On a Sunday afternoon after having lunch together at my apartment she turned our conversation to the state of my spiritual life.

That’s when God used a sledgehammer to break the hardness of my heart. In between crying I made it clear enough that my whole life was still pretty much a mess. I was still smoking dope and being “on the fence” over everything in my life.

My friend allowed the Holy Spirit to guide her and I sensed that. Otherwise, I would’ve insisted she leave immediately. After all, I had a nice veneer of an organized Spiritual life going on. But that’s all it was, and I knew it. It was time to jump off the “fence” and make a commitment to be a Christ follower.

I flushed all the dope I had in my apt and then we prayed. After that we talked about my wanting to join the military. I knew my friend was a college student but hadn’t ask what her major was.

I had centered much of my life around me, myself, and I back then and showed little interest in getting to know others on an in-depth relationship.

It was that day when she told me she had left her steady job, worked a plan out with her mother to help raise her daughter. And had moved closer to Georgia Tech University to pursue some type of a math degree. Soon she would be graduating and returning to get her child to pursue a new career plan.

We only knew each other for a few weeks at best. But before graduating, she wrote a full sheet of simple math formulas that I read and practiced over and over. By late Summer I went into the Air Force Recruiting station and passed their tests with above average abilities in understanding basic schematics, math, and comprehension skills.

I entered the Air Force on a delayed enlistment plan in 1976. By 1978 I had met and married another Air Force member, Jeffrey Jordan. We have three daughters that we’re very proud of.

%d bloggers like this: